This is a privately taught course, so there will be just yourself and the tutor, Rock Galpin. This top tier online level of teaching represents the highest learning potential of any short course for those looking for a fast, extremely intense education in Furniture Design by an award winning industry expert
6 Sessions (12 hours total)
Evenings 6-8pm GST (UAE) /2-4pm GMT (UK)
(Or at an agreed time to suit you)
Fee 11,180AED/3045USD or £2395 Pounds Stirling
Scroll down to book
This tried and tested course, originating back with content from over 15 years development, derived from one of the most highly regarded University’s training combined with 30 years Industry practice brings you the course to take if you are interested to be a Professional Furniture Designer and set up with the right training.
This exciting and intense online furniture design course, run by award winning furniture designer, Rock Galpin is designed to provide you with the basis and practice that is needed and required to be a professional furniture designer.
This will help you be in complete control of your unique and original furniture designs, whether that be an exclusive furniture piece for a private client, producing project based furniture collections, designing and developing your very own brand furniture collection or producing design for a Manufacturer Brand for their own brand collection, this course will ensure you are on the right track.
On this course will provide you with the steps of the process with knowledge, insights and tips as well as your own practice to develop your own furniture designs, from client brief and analysis, artistic inspiration; creating your own ideas in 2D and starting into 3D; learning about ergonomics; understanding manufacturing processes, materials and sustainability; perfecting the sculptural and aesthetic beauty of your designs, considering experience, use, form, materials and production.
The course is suitable for beginners though to practicing designers, as no pre-requisite skills are required yet professional skills, such as software skills, can certainly be used.
What’s covered on the course
Intro to Professional Furniture Design Practice
History of the Chair & Trends
Freehand drawing skills
The Design Process
Personal Design Agenda
Initial ideas & Ideation
Production Processes & Materials
Concept Development 2D
Materials & Processes
Working in scale & Ergonomics
Intro to Orthographic Drawing for Furniture Designers
Client Concept Presentations
Concept Development 3D
Completion of Sketch Model to scale
Project work presentations, feedback and appraisals
What you’ll come away with
You will complete the course with a project folio of work showing your creative journey with presentation ‘boards’, sketches, drawings and a final scaled block model, or appearance model of your own furniture design for your client. On satisfactory completion of the course you will be handed an accredited certificate of attendance.
What this course gives you
This course will give you the theoretical basis including the principles for what is required to become a professional Furniture/Product Designer, and will provide you with not only the theory and design process but the 3D development knowhow and skills to take ideas on a journey from brief to a 3D appearance model. This course, coupled with significant practice will also aid successful applications onto a Product of Furniture Design degree or Masters course.
No requirements are necessary other than the enthusiasm to learn and explore your ideas
No software skills are required on the course, although if have them they can certainly be used and are actively encouraged.
You will have ONLINE access to the class content notes or be emailed them which may also include further knowledge, references and exercises.
What you’ll need with you
A camera, or phone camera, a layout pad (A3 is suggested), a sketch book, a set of pencils HB to 8B and pens. A 300mm ruler, set square, protector and compass. You will also need model making materials for your sketch models and final appearance model.
Suggested modelmaking materials
Foldable white card, Foam Board (Foamex), Aluminium wire and rod/Metal wire (hand bendable), expanded aluminium sheet (DIY, electronics/ model making shop), wooden strips (4mm-6mm), stretchy fabrics (lycra, even tights), cotton wood, dacron fibre, polyester foam (10mm).
ROCK GALPIN | Profile
Rock Galpin is an established, award winning designer from London. He has over 30 years industry experience as a specialist furniture and product designer, running his own Design Agency in Central London and now also Dubai.
Rock has also been teaching part time for over 23 years as a Seniors Associate Lecturer at Central Saint Martins, University of The Arts London on BA Product Design and MA Industrial Design and MA Design courses, along with running his own online and classroom short courses for the University.
More information and examples of work can be found at www.rockgalpin.com/about-rock-galpin/
This course is subject to the RGS (Rock Galpin Studio) Terms & Conditions (see below)
PAYMENT in AED
Please make your payment to
ROCK SAMUEL GALPIN (Rock Galpin Studio)
Add PAYMENT REFERENCE (important)
PAYMENT in £ Stirling
UK payment account details are as follows: Mr R S Galpin, Santander,
• Bookings need to be made at least 7 days in advance prior to a course start date. (Contact us if you miss the 7- day deadline as there still may be a the possibility to run the course.
• All attendees must supply their full name, email address and contact number.
• All payments are 100% advance and non-refundable. However, if a course is cancelled from our side, there will be a full refund.
• It is not possible to transfer the course fees to another course/workshop or dates unless this course has been cancelled.
• A medical certificate must be provided if the attendee cannot attend a number of classes and would like to move to another date.
• Attendees must upload their final project presentation to HOMEWORK in the final class folder to receive a Certificate of Attendance.
• to receive a Certificate of Attendance, students must complete all Sessions of a given course.
• On the rare occasion that the tutor may not be able to make a class. Attendees will be informed by email and the class rescheduled, usually by adding a class date at the same time at the end of the course
• Attendees must have basic computer literacy skills for the course, and it is the attendees responsibility to prepare themselves ahead of class to use any software that they may need on the course, such as to present work digitally and also be able to use the online platform, which is Zoom.
• RGS has the right to use photographs of attendees and their work for the sole purposes of marketing and promotion of future courses. Attendees work will not be used for any other purpose, unless agreed in writing.
• If an attendee does not present in the final class (without a medical certificate or with extenuating circumstance) then a Certificate of Attendance will not be issued. If however a finished presentation document is submitted a Certificate may still be issued at RGS’s discretion.
• The cardholder must retain a copy of transaction records for all payments made.
• After Payment is made and the funds have been received, customers will receive a payment receipt via email usually within 24 hours.
• In the unlikely event that the attendee is unsatisfied with a course this will be investigated. After an investigation a course fee refund/part refund may be issued pending the decision of the founder at RGS. In which case the attendees account details will be required. Refunds will be made within 10-45 days, after the attendees account detail have been sent.
*1:1 TUITION can be arranged, either in person, face to face in Dubai or online.
Please use the subject ref ROCKFD-121S and use the contact form link here. Attendees already on the course can receive additional 1:1 tuition at the special rate of 1000AED/275USD per hour for the duration of the course.